Tips to Help You Ease the Stress of Divorce
We all know divorce is one of the most devastating experiences for anyone to undergo, as it is a major life transition likened to a death or major loss. In fact, divorce is second only to the death of a loved one in terms of stress and anxiety. It is overwhelming, dramatic, anger-inducing, sad, and incredibly emotional. There is almost no way to prepare for how you will react to the dissolving of your marriage, which is why you need to make sure you take care of yourself following this difficult transition.
The following are tips for easing the stress of divorce:
- Breathe – As simple as it sounds, taking some time at the end of the day to breathe slowly and calm yourself after what must have been a stressful day is essential.
- Work out – While hitting the gym may be the last thing you want to do, you need to engage in some kind of physical activity in order to keep yourself balanced. Eating unhealthy and staying stationary all day is the fastest way to lose your self-confidence and feel even more depressed.
- Go out – You may want to just spend all day staying home and watching TV, but you need to get back out into a social circle as fast as you can. Getting stuck in your loneliness will only be harder to get out of as time goes on. The company of others can distract you from your inner thoughts and leave you feeling refreshed.
- Set goals – Giving yourself something to look forward to is the best decision you can make in the long run. Whether these are personal or professional goals, getting organized can give you a new sense of purpose and it will lead you to feeling more successful and happier than ever before.
- Love yourself – It sounds cliché, but it is essential. You need to be kind to yourself. Don’t blame yourself for the ending of your marriage, and instead look at it as something that you need to learn from instead of chastise yourself for. Don’t let these negative thoughts become your inner voice, and learn to forgive yourself the way you’d forgive another.
- Be grateful – Divorce can make you lose a loved one, money, your home, and a life you were accustomed to. However, it can give you the opportunity of a new chance for a happy ending. Being grateful for the fact that you can get a divorce because you truly know it is what is best for you is important, because divorce is the start to a new chapter, not the end of your entire book.
- Accept change – Change is something not many people are comfortable with, but it is something you have to accept as a part of life. Instead of wishing things would stay the same forever, the way they were 5 years ago, learn to greet these changes with positivity. Change doesn’t always have to be bad. It can lead you to a better place.
Contact Our Columbus Family Law Attorneys
At Weis and O’Connor LLC, we are a team of compassionate family lawyers who have seen the best and worst divorce has to offer. We know it can be incredibly devastating for some, while being incredibly liberating for others. Instead of worrying about the financial or legal aspects of divorce, you can rely on our Columbus divorce lawyers handle the intricacies for you. We take the burden off your shoulders so you can focus on what’s truly most important--your health, happiness, and overall wellbeing.
To speak to a representative of our office, call us today at 614.428.0266.