It can be a little difficult to know when to ride out a storm and when it’s time to call it quits. If you are reaching a point in your marriage where the joys are outweighed by frustration, anger, and disappointment, it might be time to cut the cord. No one can truly know for sure what is right for your circumstances and, ultimately, that decision is for you to make. However, there are some telltale signs that often indicate the end of a marriage.
RECOGNIZING THE SIGNS
Not every bump in the road is a sign that you should get a divorce. However, when the reasons for parting ways begin to pile up and you are no longer sure why you and your spouse are still together, you might want to give your situation some serious thought.
Here are some of the signs you should not ignore:
- You dream of a life without your spouse: Do you often think of what life would be like without your spouse around? Frequently fantasizing about your spouse’s absence is not normal for a healthy marriage, so if this is becoming a common occurrence for you, this is a pretty clear sign that there is trouble in paradise.
- You almost never share your feelings or thoughts with one another: No one is saying you should share every thought in your head, but if you are not sharing at all, there might be something wrong with your marriage. It is impossible for spouses to have a healthy marriage if they are incapable of communicating their feelings and thoughts.
- You feel like you are the only one working on the marriage: It takes two to make a marriage work, so if you are the only one who is constantly trying to solve problems, this is a pretty big sign that your spouse has already given up and that you might need to pull the plug. There is only so much you can do on your own and you cannot fix your marriage if your spouse already checked out.
- Both of you frequently behave defensively: If your instincts are to react defensively and dismiss each other’s feelings or concerns during a conflict, you will never be able to solve anything and, if you cannot work on your ability to effectively communicate, this could end your marriage.
- You cannot think of anything good about your marriage: If you are having trouble saying anything good about your marriage and only have negative thoughts about your relationship, it will only become a breeding ground for more trouble. You should consider counseling, assuming it is not too late to turn the tide.
- You tried everything: Did you already try marriage counseling, discernment couples’ therapy, and any other number of approaches to resolve the ailments of your marriage? Not every marriage can be saved, so if you did everything you could and still cannot find happiness with your spouse, it might be time for a divorce.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION WITH ONE OF OUR DIVORCE ATTORNEYS TODAY!
If there are too many signs in your marriage that indicate you are no longer able to make it work, you need to contact the legal team at Weis Law Group for the experienced legal assistance you need.
Call us today at (614) 732-5566 to schedule a confidential case review.