AMY J. WEIS
DEDICATED ATTORNEY IN COLUMBUS
As a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) and one of Super Lawyers® Top Women Lawyers, honors that are not easily earned, Attorney Amy Weis is a highly respected Columbus attorney. She’s earned her reputation by sparing her clients the financial and emotional drain of contested family law litigation through amicable settlements whenever possible. If a case cannot be resolved through a settlement, Amy is known as a fierce litigator in the courtroom.
Her greatest professional satisfaction is knowing that she leaves her clients better than when she found them, often by empowering them with the knowledge of what to expect, what their entitlements are and by counseling them through the course of their domestic dispute from start to conclusion.
In addition to her expertise in family law and family divorce law, Amy has expanded her knowledge through the AAML to include:
- High profile client contested divorce cases
- Valuing interests in private equity investments
- Intricacies of executive compensation
- Pet custody
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
A magna cum laude graduate of Capital University Law School, Weis was admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1996. Currently, she serves as immediate past-president of the Ohio chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Previously, she served as the organization’s president and vice president.
In 2002, she was chair of the Domestic Relations Committee of the Franklin County Trial Lawyers Association.
Attorney Weis is a certified specialist in family relations law by the Ohio State Bar Association.
Her awards include:
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America© in Family Law – 2015 to 2020
- Ohio Rising Stars, Super Lawyers® – 2007
- Recognition by Ohio Super Lawyers® – 2009 to 2020
- Named one of the Top 25 Columbus Women Lawyers – 2010 to 2020
- Named one of the Top 50 Women Lawyers in Ohio – 2011 to 2017, 2019 to 2020
- Named one of the Top 50 Columbus Super Lawyers® – 2015 to 2016
In addition to this, she has written on the law and lectured on its practice. In 1997, she co-authored “Using Discovery to Your Client’s Advantage,” which the Ohio CLE Institute selected for publication in its “The Best of Family Law 1997″ publication.
In her free-time, Amy enjoys creative writing, spending time with her dog, Sydney, traveling, and golfing – although she’s been told her golf skills pale in comparison to her legal skills.
Bar and professional activity:
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Board of Governors Delegate for Ohio (2015-Present); Immediate Past-President (2013-2015); President, Ohio Chapter (2011-2013); Vice President (2009-2010).
- Chair, Domestic Relations Committee, Central Ohio Association for Justice (formerly the Franklin County Trial Lawyers Association), 2002
- Central Ohio Academy of Collaborative Divorce Professionals
- Columbus Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Capital University Law Review, Associate Editor, 1995-1996
- Capital University Law School, Order of the Curia, Staff Member, 1994 – 1995