Attorney David Plumb of Weis Law Group has been widely regarded as a Columbus lawyer to watch. He is recognized by his peers and selected as a Super Lawyers® Rising Star for 2021. Since graduating from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law in 2014, he worked as a Project Attorney at an eDiscovery firm but quickly moved on to working as an associate attorney in private practice, where he helped manage a caseload of more than 100 individual family law cases. Capable of taking on a variety of family law cases, he has set his focus on complex and high-asset divorces as well as child custody & support cases.
Law School & Early Experience
Mr. Plumb served as a Court Appointed Mediator for the Small Claims Court and the Prosecutor’s Resources Unit from 2012 to 2013 while attending law school. In 2014, he expanded his legal knowledge as a certified legal intern, and tried a case involving the right to privacy with respect to medical records before the Ohio Court of Claims (see: https://web.archive.org/web/20201209161513/http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/briefing-room/students/civil-clinic-wins-civil-rights-torts-case/).
Also during law school, he interned at Simakovsky Law, LLC and completed a legal externship at Ohio Consumers’ Counsel. He was also a clerk and legal assistant for Micaela Deming, Esq. LLC for several years while completing law school, where he helped manage litigation and appeals for family law cases with a focus on serving victims of domestic violence and children who were the subject of Children’s Service’s cases.
Case Knowledge & Fresh Ideas
Attorney Plumb brings innovative ideas to every case. With his fresh perspective backed by a strong knowledge of case law, statutes, and procedure, he provides additional insight and input that other attorneys might have missed. He has a winning appellate record and extensive trial experience, and his writing has been published in the field of domestic relations.
- Divorce – contested & uncontested.
- Paternity & establishing parental rights and responsibilities.
- Child Custody.
- Child Support.
- Post-Decree modification of parental rights, custody, and child support.
- Post-Decree spousal support modification and termination.
- Enforcement of court orders (contempt actions).
- Prenuptial agreements.
- Domestic Violence Civil Protection Orders.
- Family Law appeals and Objections.
In addition, David has experience and proficiency in handling complex issues that require special attention during a divorce or dissolution:
- Business Ownership – the valuation and allocation of closely held business interests, ownership rights, and helping business owners protect their businesses during the process.
- Custody Evaluations – the legal process involving a court-appointed mental health professional who makes recommendations related to child custody disputes after evaluating the family through psychological testing, interviews, and home visits.
- Separate Property tracing.
- Executive Compensation – executive compensation and benefit packages can be complex and the proper handling of these issues is important for purposes of determining payments of support as well as property division.
- Pension valuation and division.
- The impact of the I-864 Affidavit of Support on spousal support.
- Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) litigation.
OHIO COUNTIES WHERE DAVID PLUMB PRACTICES:
- Franklin County
- Delaware County
- Fairfield County
- Athens County
- Ottawa County
- Ohio University (Athens): Bachelors in Business Administration with a Major in Economics and a Minor in Mathematics (June 2010)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (Columbus): Juris Doctorate (May 2014)
- Ohio Bar (May 2015)
- Federal District Court, Southern District of Ohio Bar (June 2016)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit Bar (June 2016)
Professional & other relevant training:
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy – Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute (July 2018)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers – Family Law Associate Institute (June 2017)
- Court-Certified Mediator – Franklin County Municipal Court (2013-2014)
- Sexual Assault Response Network of Central Ohio (SARNCO), OhioHealth, 40-hour crisis intervention training (2012)
- Caleshu v. Caleshu, 10th Dist. Franklin No. 19AP-742, 2020-Ohio-4075, 2020 WL 4718099 (10th Dist. 2020)
- Dodaro v. Dodaro, 10th Dist. Franklin No. 18AP-714, 2019-Ohio-4864, 2019 WL 6334050 (10th Dist. 2019)
- Slaughter v. Hoover-Grier, 10th Dist. No. 16AP-486, 2017-Ohio-2770, 90 N.E.3d 333, 2017 WL 1957113 (10th Dist. 2017)
- Duff v. Duff, 5th Dist. Guernsey No. 13 CA 23, 2014-Ohio-1040, 2014 WL 1340025 (5th Dist. 2014) (assisted with research and oral argument preparation while working for Micaela Deming Esq., LLC)
- Columbus Bar Association – Family Law Committee (member)
- Ohio State Bar Association – Family Law Committee (member)
- American Bar Association – Family Law Division (member)
Publications & Presentations:
- Co-Writer, CLE presentation, Hot Tips: Getting the Court to Order Life Insurance to Secure Support, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) Ohio Chapter Symposium (2017)
- Co-Writer, Ted Talks Tax: Home is Where the Tax Is, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) National Fall Meeting, Family Law (2017)
- Co-Writer, CLE presentation, Discovery in Domestic Relations Practice, Columbus Bar Association (2018)
- Castle v. Castle – Jurisdictional Split, 31 Domestic Relations Journal of Ohio 1, 1 (2019)
- Disposition of Frozen Embryos, 33 Domestic Relations Journal of Ohio 1, 1 (2021)