Law School & Early Experience
Ms. Cardenas graduated from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law in 2020 with a Certificate in Children's Studies. During the Summer of 2018 she studied at the University of Oxford in Oxford, England. In 2019, she worked as a Judicial Extern for the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas Division of Domestic Relations and Juvenile Branch. During this time, she also worked as a law clerk for Student Legal Services at The Ohio State University. Ms. Cardenas then obtained her legal intern certificate and participated in Moritz’s Justice for Children Clinic where she represented youths in Juvenile Court. She continues her work with juveniles as a Hearing Officer for Franklin County’s Teen Court diversion program. She began with Weis Law Group in 2019 as a law clerk before becoming an associate.
Background In Children's Studies
Ms. Cardenas brings an interdisciplinary background focused on children’s studies. As both an undergraduate and law student, she graduated with recognitions for her completion of courses focused on child development outside of her discipline, most commonly in the fields of psychology and social work.
She is originally from San Antonio, Texas, but has made her home here in Columbus. She enjoys spending her free time reading books, adventuring, attending Broadway shows, and hanging out with her dog.
- Divorce – contested & uncontested.
- Parental rights and responsibilities.
- Child Custody.
- Child Support.
- Post-Decree modification of parental rights, custody, and child support.
- Post-Decree spousal support modification and termination.
- Enforcement of court orders (contempt actions).
- Prenuptial agreements.
- Domestic Violence Civil Protection Orders.
OHIO COUNTIES WHERE JAMIE CARDENAS PRACTICES:
- Franklin County
- Delaware County
- St. Edward’s University (Austin, TX): Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Political Science and a Minor in Psychology (May 2017)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (Columbus, OH): Juris Doctorate (May 2020)
- Ohio Bar (December, 2020)
Professional & other relevant training:
- Working Minds Suicide Prevention in the Workplace Training (January 2022)
- American Bar Association - 34th Annual Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute (July 2022)
- Columbus Bar Association - Family Law Committee (member)
- Columbus Bar Association - Juvenile Law Committee (member)
- Ohio State Bar Association - Family Law Committee (member)
- American Bar Association - Family Law Division (member)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (member)
Publications & Presentations:
- Co-Writer, CLE Presentation, Hot Tips: What’s Up with Prenupts?, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) Ohio Chapter Symposium (2020)